Organizers of Silmo 2020 announced today the cancellation of the event which had been scheduled at the Paris Nord Villepinte Centre, Oct, 2 to 5. In its statement, Amelie Morel, chairwoman of the Silmo Association, wrote, “Since the beginning of the worldwide health and economic crisis, we made clear commitments and established extensive measures to protect and guide the companies of our industry throughout this particularly difficult period. In particular, we promised to announce our decision as to whether the 2020 edition of Silmo Paris would go forward as of mid-July, based on various criteria relating to the trade fair fundamentals as well as developments in the international health, economic and political situation.
Morel added, “We extend great thanks to the 688 registered exhibitors who demonstrated great entrepreneurial courage by deciding to maintain their participation in Silmo Paris 2020, despite the crisis we are going through.” She noted that “Agility is key. We will therefore pursue our commitment to guide the industry’s return to business, ensure our mission to promote its products and services, and uphold our pledge to the optical and eyewear sector, which will mean:
• From October to November 2020, Silmo will set out to encounter opticians in France and throughout Europe. “Silmo Hors les Murs” (“Silmo Outside the Walls”) will propose events that honor its commitment to support the industry, in keeping with the Silmo convivial spirit!
• This unprecedented operation will begin on October 4-5, 2020 in Paris, and will be repeated every Monday in the month of October in a different city, such as Bordeaux, Lyon, Rennes and Brussels (the program is still being finalized).
• The 2020 Silmo d’Or awards will go forward, open to all the companies registered to date.
• Once again this year, Silmo Academy will issue a scholarship to support a scientific research project in vision and optics.
• Through a specialised application, Silmo Next—a laboratory of ideas, a forum for interprofessional discussions, and a showcase for creation and innovation—will present the summary of the work that began two years ago, probing into the future of the sector, product developments, and the optical profession “toward a techno-responsible optical and eyewear future.”
SILMO 2021 will welcome visitors and exhibitors back to the Paris Nord Villepinte exhibition centre from September 24-27, 2021.