On Sept. 6th, The Vision Council, on behalf of its members and the U.S. optical industry at large, submitted comprehensive comments to the United States Trade Representative (USTR) opposing the proposed imposition of a 25 percent tariff on imports from China through the so-called Third List of Chinese Tariffs. We thank the members who helped shape our position by providing information and feedback to Rick Van Arnam, The Vision Council’s regulatory affairs counsel, on this topic.
Based on member responses, The Vision Council submitted comments relating to two products – and cleaning solutions. As noted in the news outlets, the Trump Administration identified China’s theft of technology as a basis for imposing these tariffs. The Vision Council’s comments addressed how the manufacturing of cleaning solutions and cases is not dependent on significant technologies, intellectual property or know how. Therefore, imposing a tariff on such products does nothing to ameliorate the underlying problem. The comments make clear to the USTR that these tariffs will hurt U.S. business and increase the overall price that Americans will pay for their eyewear product needs. To view these letters in their entirety, please visit www.thevisioncouncil.org/USTR.
Again, The Vision Council would like to thank our members for providing valuable information used in preparing our comments to the USTR. To learn the latest on the China tariff situation, please plan to attend the Government and Regulatory Update session leading up to Vision Expo West on Sept. 26 at 9 a.m. in the Sands Expo Room 405/406. To register for this session please click here.
The Vision Council continues to closely monitor this evolving situation and will be providing regular updates to membership as they occur. Please continue to contact The Vision Council’s regulatory affairs counsel, Rick Van Arnam, at email@example.com with any questions or concerns on this matter.
Calgary, Alberta, Can.—Marketing4ECPs, the organizers and hosts of EyeInnovate 2018, have just announced some great, new developments to create even more excitement about the November 6, 2018 one-day conference event.
– Win a “Trip to L.A.” for two to attend EyeInnovate 2018. Nearly 600 ECPs have already entered to win! The Grand Prize includes two airfare vouchers valued at $500 each, two nights’ stay at one of conference hotels and, of course, free admission to the conference. A great way to enjoy an expenses-paid vacation AND learn the secrets of effective digital marketing. Just go to www.eyeinnovate2018.com/enter-to-win to fill out your registration form to be entered. The winners will be announced on October 1, 2018 on Marketing4 ECPs social media platforms. (P.S., if you’ve already registered no worries! You’ll be automatically entered and we’ll refund your original registration fees if you win.)
– Ticket Giveaways every week until the conference date. Each week from August 1 until November 1, 2018, Marketing4ECPs will give away five sets of tickets to attend EyeInnovate 2018. Just fill out the registration form at the web address above and you’re entered to win! (All prior registrants are immediately entered to win.)
– Google execs to kick off the conference. Did you know that there are 104-million individual eyecare and vision related searches on Google every single month? Want to know how you can take advantage of this search activity. Executives from Google will open EyeInnovate 2018 and share with you the secrets for the best in competitive vision care marketing.
– Ameican Idol star, Randy Jackson, to provide the closing keynote. Sponsored by Zyloware, suppliers of Randy Jackson Eyewear, Randy is a vocal supporter of good eye health and great eyewear styling. He’s going to share his own vision care story as well as a behind the scenes look at American Idol. He’ll also be available to answer questions and for photo opportunities.
EyeInnovate 2018 is shaping up to be a ground-breaking, not to be missed event with more than one hundred current registrants and a dozen sponsors, including ODs on Facebook, Google, yelp, Costa, Zyloware and more. Make sure you don’t miss out on this first annual digital marketing conference, by registering now at www.eyeinnovate2018.com.
Alexandria, VA – September 10, 2018 – As of three weeks pre-show, Vision Expo West pre-registration for young professionals is trending strongly ahead of 2017. Vision Expo West (Education: September 26–29; Exhibit Hall: September 27–29) will feature various programs and activations geared specifically toward the young professional and student demographic, including panels, surprise celebrity guests, and hosting students from optometry schools across the country.
“Forty-nine percent of millennials attend tradeshows to find inspiration and they are, on average, eight percent more likely to make a purchase than their counterparts, according to a study from the Center for Exhibition Industry Research,” said Mitch Barkley, Vice President of Trade Shows at The Vision Council. “At Vision Expo West, millennial attendees will find new Exhibit Hall destinations and content that will both inspire and motivate.”
At NewGradUniversity in the NewGradOptometry + Covalent Careers booth (#23087), young professionals and students can attend a variety of free daily panel discussions with top experts. See the complete schedule of panels and speakers here.
Panel topics are as follows:
Thursday, September 27:
• How to Grow and Scale Your Practice – 10:30 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
• What You Need to Know About Co-management – 12:00 p.m.–12:30 p.m.
• Medical Optometry 201 – 1:30 p.m.–2:00 p.m.
• Pathways to Leadership in Corporate Optometry Panel and Reception – 4:30 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
Friday, September 28:
• Private Equity and Vertical Integration – The Future of Optometry? – 12:30 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
• Are Cold Start Optometry Practices Still Attainable – 2:00 p.m–2:30 p.m.
• Women Thought Leaders in Optometry – 4:45 p.m.–5:15 p.m.
Saturday, September 29:
• Going From Associate to Practice Owner – 11:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
• The White Glove Optometry Practice – 12:30 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
• Optometry and Telemedicine – 1:30 p.m.–2:00 p.m.
To support the next generation of eyecare professionals in the growth of their career, Vision Expo is hosting the SOLutioN (SOLN) group, an organization that promotes and guides the future leaders of private-practice optometry. Twenty SOLN student leaders who represent optometry schools from across the nation, along with the SOLN executive board, will hold the organization’s quarterly meeting at the show.
“SOLN is an organization that allows for future optometrists to develop unique bonds with one another and practicing optometrists across the nation,” said Bianca Augustino, OD, Executive Director of SOLN.
The Center for Exhibition Industry Research also reports that the use of engagement tactics is of high importance to all attendees. Vision Expo is encouraging exhibitors to hold captivating activations to engage attendees, including hosting giveaways and providing opportunities to network. In the coming weeks, Vision Expo representatives will announce exhibitor activations taking place across the Exhibit Hall. Exhibitors’ activations that excel will be celebrated through the new Best Booth Award category, Best Brand Activation.